by Cheung-kwok Law and Chung-yi Lam
The APEC Study Centre of the Chinese University of Hong Kong undertook a preliminary study regarding the development and challenges of startup businesses in Hong Kong in the first half of 2019. The objectives of the study are the following:
- understanding the operating status, technology and ecosystem of startup businesses in Hong Kong:
- reviewing their interaction with and operation in the Greater Bay Area;and
- assessing their short term business prospects,challenges and opportunities.
The policy recommendations are the following:
- empowerment of female entrepreneurs;
- provision manpower support;
- supporting marketing activities;
- promoting R and D activities;
- promotion of commercialization of intellectual property;
- conducting a comprehensive Survey on startup firms;
- promotion of government’s SME supporting schemes;and
- promotion of GBA business environment.